Thoughts on YouTube TOS (II. Prohibitions):
- Google’s very own play store has a lump sum of 47 FREE 3rd party Android apps allowing users to download Audio and/or Video content, despite the fact that their TOS suggests not to.
- How about YouTube API allowing audio streaming with commercials, like FM radio stations and Spotify broadcast their content? Audio only would encourage lesser data consumption over slower n/w and might just serve the need in some scenarios without the distraction of video.
- Granted, that with options to download Audiovisual content, Google might not be able to cover the cost of steaming service. Plus, downloading the content might also assert licensing issues. Above all, what pays Google’s bills is the ad business. Options to download Audio/Video might not be able to generate revenue from promotions & commercials which help generate and might have copy right issues, but would you disagree if I say, not all YouTube videos play commercials and not all videos have same license? AFAIK, YouTube API provides a way to check if a video has promotions. If the video does not have promotions it’d be nice to see if YouTube would allow downloading in future.
Food for thoughts!
Your API Client will not, and You will not encourage or create functionality for Your users or other third parties to:
- collect or modify any YouTube user account information;
- interfere or attempt to interfere in any manner with the proper workings of the YouTube API, or create or distribute any API Client that adversely affects the functionality or performance of YouTube or services provided by YouTube;
- circumvent or render ineffective any geographical restrictions, including IP address-based restrictions;
- sell, lease, lend, convey, redistribute, or sublicense to any third party all or any portion of the YouTube API or API Data (except that You may distribute and display the YouTube audiovisual content and accompanying metadata to Your users through Your API Client in a manner that complies with this Agreement);
- modify or replace the text, images, or other content of the YouTube search results, including (i) changing the order in which search results are presented as YouTube search results, or (ii) intermixing sources other than YouTube when search results are presented as YouTube search results;
- modify, replace or otherwise disable the functioning of links to YouTube or third-party websites provided in the YouTube search results or otherwise provided through the YouTube API or YouTube player;
- modify, replace, interfere with or block advertisements placed by YouTube in the YouTube Data, YouTube audiovisual content, or the YouTube player;
- separate, isolate, or modify the audio or video components of any YouTube audiovisual content made available through the YouTube API;
- promote separately the audio or video components of any YouTube audiovisual content made available through the YouTube API;
- access any portion of any YouTube audiovisual content by any means other than use of a YouTube player or other video player expressly authorized by YouTube;
- store copies of YouTube audiovisual content;
- use the YouTube API intentionally to encourage or promote copyright infringement or the exploitation of copyright-infringing materials;
- misrepresent your identity when registering for use of the YouTube API, use the developer credentials licensed to a different individual or entity, or mask Your usage of the YouTube API; or
- use a video player smaller than the minimum video player size set forth in the YouTube API documentation and specifications.